NEARTERM WILL KEEP YOU DRY
On October 1st, of this year a deluge of over 5,000 new CM and PCS medical codes and other changes are coming your way!
- CMS opens the dam to release the five-year hold on these codes and a one year reprieve for unspecified codes.
- ICD-10 CM will have 1,943 new codes, 422 revisions & 305 deletions
- ICD-10 PCS will have 3,651 new codes and 487 revisions
This represents a formidable challenge for healthcare organizations as we approach implementation of these changes. Your organization should be prepared with coder training, clinical documentation policies and new query updates already underway.
In addition, it is important to ascertain that providers are included in educational opportunities to review the new documentation requirements supporting Severity of Illness, Risk of Mortality and Medical Necessity.
There are many risks associated with the coming changes that hospital and physician organizations must consider. Here is a summary:
- Susceptibility to denials and loss of payment if coding reported does not meet the expanded coding standards
- Presence of staffing adequate to sustain DNFB targets – it will take additional time to navigate through coding pathways to refine coding practices.
If you would like extra horsepower as you prepare for what’s coming and/or perhaps additional support post-implementation, we are available to talk about how we can help. Our professional staff and medical coders are led by AHIMA Approved ICD-10 CM/PCS Trainers. Our coders and consultants undergo continuous education via coding clinics and “hands on” training aimed at new coding guidelines and compliant query opportunities.
We can get you ready for the deluge and we’ll keep you dry.